Wednesday 28 February 2018

Irish country music star Derek Ryan to play UK tour dates during March and April 2018

CLICK to ENLARGE
Derek Ryan Live at SSE
The award-winning Irish Country Music star Derek Ryan will return to the UK for a run of tour dates during March and April 2018.

Derek’s eight-date UK tour, which also includes a date on St Patrick’s Night at the Islington Assembly Rooms, will feature a mix of old favourites, classic country and Derek’s own original material.
Click here for a Derek Ryan Q & A

The County Carlow man, who is a multiple recipient of awards for his performances and songwriting, continues to maintain his position at the top table of Irish Country Music’s elite.

His recent Irish number one album THE FIRE spawned the hits ‘Heaven Tonight’ and ‘Homeland’, which will be featured during this concert tour along with many fan favourites, including ‘Hold On To Your Hat’, ‘God’s Plan’ and ‘Life Is A River’.

The UK tour dates will also include his ever-popular acoustic interlude; accompanied by just his guitar, this intimate section of the show gives Derek’s audiences an insight into his life and music.


With reference to his date in Islington on St Patrick’s Day, Derek hopes to bring back memories of the heyday of dancing in North London, when places like the National Ballroom in Kilburn and the Galtymore played host to many Irish country singers. At the dance on St Patrick’s Night Derek will be joined by fellow Irish star Louise Morrissey. 


Having lived in Fulham for a time before returning to Ireland, Derek is no stranger to London and loves returning to the UK each year. 

Derek recently described his appearance at the 2017 St Patrick’s Day Festival in Trafalgar Square in 2017 as a career highlight. Quite a statement when you considering the singer-songwriter has previously toured the world in his former boy band days with D-Side and having had top 10 hits in the UK and a number one in Japan.

Looking ahead to ‘The Fire’ tour, Derek said, “I’m really looking forward to seeing everybody on tour, where will be some songs from ‘The Fire’, a bluegrass set, an acoustic set and some other surprises, along with our usual mix of original songs and popular country, Irish & party hits - something for everybody!”

Derek Ryan is appearing at the following venues this Spring:
March
Thurs 15 March 2018: Solway Hall, Whitehaven (Lowther Street, Whitehaven, Cumbria CA28 7SH) £21 Tickets
Fri 16 March 2018: Middleton Arena, Manchester (Corporation Street, Middleton, Greater Manchester, M24 1AG) £23.10 Tickets
Sat 17 March 2018: Islington Assembly Halls, London (Upper Street London N1 2UD | By tube Highbury and Islington Station (Victoria and Overground Lines) is 5min walk away) £27.50 Tickets
Sun 18 March 2018: South Birmingham College, Birmingham (High Street, Deritend, B5 5SU) * SOLD OUT * Tickets
April
Thurs 12 April 2018: Corran Halls, Oban (No 54 The Esplanade, Oban, Scotland PA34 5AB) £21.25 Tickets
Fri 13 April 2018: Concert Halls, Motherwell (Windmillhill Street, ML1 1AB) £22.50 Tickets
Sat 14 April 2018: Eden Court Theatre, Inverness (Eden Court, Bishop's Road, IV3 5SA) £19.50-£25.50 Tickets
Sun 15 April 2018: Eden Court Theatre, Inverness (Eden Court, Bishop's Road, IV3 5SA) £19.50-£25.50 Tickets
Tickets are available from the venue box offices.


Q&A with Derek Ryan

1.  What can fans expect at your forthcoming UK tour dates?

Lots of new songs from my latest album 'The Fire', a bluegrass set, an acoustic set and some other surprises along with our usual mix of original songs and popular country, Irish & party hits! Something for everybody!

2. Your latest album The Fire reached No.1 on the iTunes country chart and stayed there for quite a while. How did it feel hitting the top spot as a solo artist, and how did you celebrate?

It's always a very proud moment to do well in the charts, especially when you consider the time and effort that has gone into writing, recording and producing the album. Of course, charts are one thing but the most important thing is that everybody who buys it, enjoys the music! That is the real success.

3.  In your experience, how does your UK audience differ from your Irish audience?

They are pretty similar to be honest. No matter where we go, we encourage the audience from the outset to get involved, singing & clapping along. Of course it's perfectly fine to sit back, relax and just enjoy the show. Whatever makes the night for everyone…

4. Onstage you tell stories between songs. How do you pick which tales to share with your fans?
I always like to tell stories that may relate to the next song, or the audience can identify with. I think if you set up a song in this way, especially an original song, it can take the audience on a journey and they feel like they may know the song before they hear it.

5.  What’s been the best moment on stage so far?
There's been lots of special moments.  Most recently, headlining the Farmers Bash at the SSE Arena, Belfast, the crowd of over 10,000 sang back to me every word of my debut single God's Plan. It was magical.

6.      …and your worst?
Not any particular bad one I can remember. At the bigger gigs if there’s an issue with sound or monitoring it can be pretty stressful.

7.  What was the first concert you went to?
I went to see Garth Brooks in Croke Park, Dublin, when I was 14 years-old. He was a God in Ireland at the time and atmosphere on the night was something which could be hard to beat.

8.  What was the first concert you ever performed at?
Honestly - haha - I performed Edelweiss from the Sound of Music at a Christmas concert in school when I was about 6 years old.

9.  Apart from the music, how does your career as a country artist differ from your days as a boy band star in D-Side?

The biggest difference is musically I control what I release. My management, my label and myself have a great relationship and we all play a big part in the success we have achieved, but ultimately I make the calls and I think at this stage in my career that’s how it needs to be. I wouldn't have it any other way.

10.  What do you think of today’s boy bands, and do you miss that scene?
I don't miss the scene in the slightest. I enjoyed my time in D-Side but, again, I love the music I create now. I have a platform for original songs, I am my own boss and I love touring. So, all in all, I'm doing what I love for a living and I realise even more second time around how fortunate I am to be in this position. Boybands of today are pretty much the same as always. I think they have a shelf-life until the next craze comes along, with very few standing the test of time.

11.  Do you have any celebrity fans?
Not that I know of. Haha.

12.  Do you compare notes with your country music contemporaries?
When we meet at things like award shows we may have the odd chat about various gigs and promoters, etc., but I tend to not talk shop and keep myself to myself.

13.  What music do you listen to these days?
I think a good song is a good song regardless of the genre. I have everything from Jamie Lawson and One Republic to some classic country albums from Merle Haggard in my car.

14.  What do you do in your spare time when you’re not writing, recording or performing music?
I love going to the theatre, plays, comedians. I also play handball and try to run some 5k’s just for fun. I also love going out to try nice restaurants / hotels during my time off.  Work hard, play hard, as they say.

15.  If someone had told you when you were at school that you’d have this life ahead of you what would you have thought?
I suppose I would have dreamt of it alright, but I was quite academic growing up, so music was more of a pastime. To get the opportunity really is a dream come true.

16.  Anything else you wish you had known at the beginning of your career?
Follow your gut. More of often than not, when it's about your own career, it's right.

17.  Who has given you the best career advice?
My Dad. He is very proud of me but would also give me advice and be a critic in many ways. You try to listen to people close to you and take on board everything they say, even if you don't necessarily agree with it. He said to me recently “show people everything you can do musically, leave nothing at home”, which encouraged me to introduce new elements to the show which I really feel has improved the entertainment value for the audience.

18.  What makes your really proud?
Big crowds singing songs back to me, songs I wrote at the kitchen table. It's the best feeling in the world.

19.  Is there anyone one you'd like to work with or duet with?
Bryan Adams is my all-time favourite artist, so to collaborate with him would be top of the list.

20.  A message for you fans:
Thank you for all the support because playing live, writing & recording is all I ever wanted to do. The fact that people pay to come see me and buy albums is an honour. I always give it my best shot. Looking forward to seeing everybody on 'The Fire' tour.

ABOUT DEREK RYAN
The roll call of success for the multi-talented Irish man is long and much deserved – with two Irish Number One albums, sell-out shows at home and abroad and fistfuls of music awards to his name.

It’s been a long road for the Garryhill, County Carlow born artist who first developed his lifelong love for music when his parents bought a drum kit one Christmas for a four-year-old Derek!

That childhood passion was further nurtured when his dad brought him to fleadh cheoils (Irish music festivals) with young Derek truly proving ‘I Got Rhythm’ – winning two All-Ireland titles in bodhran and ceili drumming.

Derek got his first taste of the big stage with Irish boyband D-Side in 2001, with whom he enjoyed three British Top Ten hits, and a Number One in Japan. But when the pop bubble burst, determined Derek picked himself up and started following his country music dreams. 

He returned to Ireland in 2009, where his songwriting talent saw success in prestigious competitions such as A Song For Carlow and The International Song Of Peace.  And when a song he had written in a bolt of creativity in his London bedsit in less than half an hour, God’s Plan became a 2010 smash hit in Ireland, it was D-Day for Derek’s career from then on!

Derek has being filling his trophy cabinet ever since, winning countless accolades including Entertainer of the Year, Songwriter and Album of the Year and most recently Live Concert Performer of the Year at the Sunday World Irish Country Music Awards.

Balancing huge demand from dancehall and concert theatre audiences with his constant desire to create new music, Derek has released a number of best selling albums. His latest being a double album release, including “Happy Man” and “This is Me”, is bringing Derek all over the UK and Ireland throughout 2017 to meet the demand of his ever growing audiences.

CONNECT with Derek Ryan:
 photo Homepage_zpsed80f180.png photo facebook_zpsc6fe26ab.png photo twitter_zps621beec6.png photo instagram_zps11345153.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.