Wednesday 6 April 2016

Country Stars React To Passing Of Merle Haggard

Country Stars React To Passing Of Merle Haggard





















Nashville, Tenn. (April 6, 2016) - Today, upon learning of the death of the legendary Merle Haggard, many country music stars have reacted expressing their love and admiration for one of the genre's greatest pioneers:

"When we lost George Jones, I said, 'Years ago someone asked Coach Bum Phillips if Earl Campbell was in a class by himself. Bum replied, 'Well if he ain't, it sure don't take long to check roll.'  The same applies for the great Merle Haggard.  I will miss my friend."
-Larry Gatlin

"Now in the presence of the One his sweet Mama told him about. We will miss you, but you won't be missing us!"
-Ricky Skaggs

"We've lost a unique voice and writer of great country songs. God Bless you Merle...I just wish you'd 'made it through December' a few more times."
-Ray Stevens

"Merle Haggard has been a huge influence in my life, to my music and my career. Thank you very much Hag and God bless you."
-Sammy Kershaw

"I don’t think it’s a hyperbole to say Merle Haggard was a national treasure.  He was.  Haggard is as American as apple pie and baseball.  He was the poet laureate of country music.  Try to find one songwriter in Nashville who didn’t idolize Hag.  You can’t.  It’s impossible."
-Pam Tillis

"I was fortunate enough to get to play several shows with Merle and he always had great advice to give me.  We have lost an icon and a legend."
-Aaron Tippin

"After meeting and being around Country legends such as Merle Haggard, it increased my respect and my desire of getting to know him, which I accomplished. His loss will be deeply mourned by everyone in Country music as well as by those of other music genres.  May he rest in peace."
-Doug Gray on behalf of The Marshall Tucker Band

"I am dumbfounded by this news. Merle Haggard was probably my greatest musical influence and my hero. I never shook his hand, but the music he made shook my soul to the core. It hurts to think about no more Haggard but honestly, we all know, that he made enough music to last us a lifetime. I just hope his passing might call attention to some of the stuff that made country music a mainstay. Maybe this generation will go back and listen to what shaped and molded the genre. I guess it's okay to veer off in a different direction but the end product needs to have the same impact. The question is, how does today's country music stack up when compared to one of the masters like Merle Haggard? Give it some thought. You don't need my help with that one. I feel confident, you'll figure it out. Thanks, Merle, for all the great songs and all the great music. It'll never be the same."
-Darryl Worley

"Merle Haggard was a 'must see' artist, a cornerstone of country.  Eloquent as a poet and singer, he was completely authentic…imitated but never equaled. Timeless music at its best. Restless Heart and all other bands owe him a great debt."

-Dave Innis on behalf of Restless Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.